Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Making Peace with Life

Life, like water, is always moving. Even water classified as "stagnant" is moving. We just don't see it because it's movement may not be quick, or forceful, or constant, but it is moving. The question is, is stagnant water moving too slowly for us to see or are we too impatient to sit and pay attention to it's subtle motion? Like water, life has these moments. Tempestuous moments and stagnant moments. Like the tide it ebbs and flows. The waves build, crest, crash, and then calmly reach the sand, and the water is slowly drawn back into the larger scheme of things, until new waves build. It is never still. It is always moving, irregardless of how much attention you choose to pay it or what you try to deny. It will continue. Throughout most of my life I have exhausted myself by fighting against what will be in spite of my denial. I have built detours around situations I wanted to avoid. I have closed my eyes to the truth and chose to live in darkness, knowing, that the outcome was inevitable. To no avail. Life has always been what it was going to be; my actions may have only prolonged the outcome, but, not changed it. I am choosing to make peace with life. To ride the crest and crash with it and then, calmly be drawn back into the larger picture until the next situation arises. Living through fear is not living. Living through fear of failure retards personal growth and awareness. I am embracing conflict, peace, love, loss, anger, hurt, desire, good, bad, success, and failure. Accepting half of the equation causes a grave imbalance that I cannot afford to live with.

No comments:

Post a Comment